It wouldn't be an SFUO election without some sort of scandal!
As mentioned yesterday, Tristan Dénomée called Julie out on not accomplishing most of the points in her platform from last year. After listing everything she has failed to do, he asked why anyone should vote for her. Julie tried to maintain her composure, which is difficult when such a thing happens a) in front of the student body and 2) on CAMERA (sup, Zoom?)
Hours later, a new blog was created. Tristan is now heading a No campaign against Julie.
Does it suck for Julie? Yes. Is it a good thing for students? Definitely. They are being reminded that they have a choice.
But...this might be good for Julie. Her campaign has been flying pretty below the radar so far (one reason I've been on the fence about voting Yes for her. You're running for VP Communications...shouldn't this campaign should be the. most. visible. campaign?). In Kyle's blog, she talked about earning her "Yes" votes. Maybe now she'll actually do it- Julie needs to prove to students that she can actually represent them, and COMMUNICATE information to them, whether it be info about events, her own campaign, or the SFUO.
My suggestion: get out and talk to students. find out how THEY want to get their information. The reason why students get annoyed during elections is that they get spoken to, not spoken with. Here's an idea - start your classroom presentations by asking students what they want. Try and work towards that TWO WAY COMMUNICATION you wanted last year, Julie.
I'm interested to see what Tristan's next step will be. Julie, get your action plan together.
En été, ça continue de bouger chez les Gee-Gees!
3 weeks ago
3 comments:
Well said. I also hope that Julie's campaign comes around and earns my 'Yes.'
Also, I am glad you removed the pink. If you did it because you were trying to win me over, it worked. If you did it just because, and my complaint was a coincidence it worked even better! Call me ;-)
I hope all the candidates follow this. I've yet to have any candidate ask me what I want as a student... ever.
It could be a great platform for someone to run, an actual student representative who works for the actual concerns of the students.
I wrote in one of my posts that I will be voting 'no'. I mean, seriously, can someone really earn $30000/year more than once for just putting up a couple of poster? If so, sign me up, I'll learn french for that gig lol. Plus, the SFUO website is tres sucky (I've already started! :P). And btw, its said that teh SFUO events calendar will be up shortly for like, forever.
Post a Comment