I'm not sure how it works, but since the Fulcrum is supposed to be independent, if Maureen is elected VP Finance, wouldn't that be a conflict of interest if she's on the Fulcrum's board (since she'll be in a position to make financial decisions)?
Maybe with a few more years and more experience, but I find her platform very juvenile as it is, right now. I don't think she has the knowledge or the maturity to manage the SFUO's budget...at least, not this year.
Maureen is younger than Roxanne, but I'm not sure that fact is entirely indicative of competency.
I heard that Roxanne gave levy cheques with less than promised amounts to the federated bodies, that they took forever to arrive, and that she was still dealing with 101 week in January.
In response to the last comment: yah, maybe that did happen, but now she's learned from her first year as VP Finance, and she can improve next year. I guarantee you it would be the EXACT same with Maureen, since she'll be brand new, so using that against Roxanne is really using it against Maureen. Sorry.
Not really. Maureen is a strong candidate, much stronger than Roxanne is or was. Rox hasn't learned from her experiences as VP Finance, but Maureen has- She's seen what went wrong, and I honestly believe her when she says she wants to fix it.
I'm not helping her on her campaign, I just think she knows what she's talking about.
Granted, your comment is a little partisan (not your fault), because it's kind easy to say "she's really strong and better than Roxanne" when there's no empirical evidence to back that up. I'd like to honestly believe a lot of things the candidates say.
I'm not trying to paint myself as anti-Maureen, I just am not convinced as someone who ISN'T her friend. Especially since she lost on virtually every question of her debate. That's my opinion, and no, I'm not a Roxanne partisan either. But unless Maureen can convince me otherwise, I'm going with the safe choice.
More for Logan and anyone else who wants to listen/read...
So Roxanne did better at the debates than Maureen did.
Being a good debater doesn't make you a good vp finance. It's someone who is decidated to their ideas, passionate and organized. Roxanne has shown none of these qualities this year towards her portfolio, but all of it towards other projects that have taken precedence over her own portfolio. It's a behind the scenes job that requires more than buzz words.
The original raison-d'être of this blog was to liveblog the Board of Administration meetings and let students know about all of the crazy shit that goes down.
However, the promise of iPods influenced us to stray from this path for a bit to cover the 2009 SFUO elections. Since then, we've been covering a bit of everything SFUO-related.
If you've got tips about exciting things on campus, let us know by emailing us at boavoice.blog@gmail.com.
14 comments:
I'm not sure how it works, but since the Fulcrum is supposed to be independent, if Maureen is elected VP Finance, wouldn't that be a conflict of interest if she's on the Fulcrum's board (since she'll be in a position to make financial decisions)?
Correct me if I'm wrong.
I was just thinking the same thing...
Also, kudos to the AGM on getting rid of the ban on certain advertisers such as the Armed Forces in the Fulcrum!
interesting. probably true. i will have to look into this!
She would have to resign her seat on the BOD of the fulcrum. Also the Fulcrum has an ex-officio member from the SFUO on the BOD of the fulcrum
Seeing as how MAUREEN IS GOING TO WIN... she will have to resign.
FTW!
Maybe with a few more years and more experience, but I find her platform very juvenile as it is, right now. I don't think she has the knowledge or the maturity to manage the SFUO's budget...at least, not this year.
And what experience did Roxanne have when she first started? not much more if any more than Maureen does now...
MAUREEN! FTW!!!
Maureen is younger than Roxanne, but I'm not sure that fact is entirely indicative of competency.
I heard that Roxanne gave levy cheques with less than promised amounts to the federated bodies, that they took forever to arrive, and that she was still dealing with 101 week in January.
That's all second-hand, but still.
In response to the last comment: yah, maybe that did happen, but now she's learned from her first year as VP Finance, and she can improve next year. I guarantee you it would be the EXACT same with Maureen, since she'll be brand new, so using that against Roxanne is really using it against Maureen. Sorry.
Not really. Maureen is a strong candidate, much stronger than Roxanne is or was. Rox hasn't learned from her experiences as VP Finance, but Maureen has- She's seen what went wrong, and I honestly believe her when she says she wants to fix it.
I'm not helping her on her campaign, I just think she knows what she's talking about.
ooooh oooh I agree with comment directly above this one!
i couldnt have said it better myself
@ Anyonymous #2
Granted, your comment is a little partisan (not your fault), because it's kind easy to say "she's really strong and better than Roxanne" when there's no empirical evidence to back that up. I'd like to honestly believe a lot of things the candidates say.
I'm not trying to paint myself as anti-Maureen, I just am not convinced as someone who ISN'T her friend. Especially since she lost on virtually every question of her debate. That's my opinion, and no, I'm not a Roxanne partisan either. But unless Maureen can convince me otherwise, I'm going with the safe choice.
@Logan, Then read their platforms. The choice becomes obvious.
Flashy choice words vs. responisbility.
More for Logan and anyone else who wants to listen/read...
So Roxanne did better at the debates than Maureen did.
Being a good debater doesn't make you a good vp finance. It's someone who is decidated to their ideas, passionate and organized. Roxanne has shown none of these qualities this year towards her portfolio, but all of it towards other projects that have taken precedence over her own portfolio. It's a behind the scenes job that requires more than buzz words.
Post a Comment